Egg eaters!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LazyGirl, Apr 27, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    I have 23 pullets that just started laying this week. They are laying on the floor of the coop, and just as quickly, they are eating the eggs! HELP!
    How do I get them to lay in the nest boxes ? (I have 6 older ones that do, so they should have figured it out)
    How do I get them to stop eating the eggs? This morning i went out every hour to check the eggs. No eggs at 10, and at 11, there were 3 on the floor and all had been eaten.
    Also, why do my chickens lay eggs at any time of the day? There are never eggs in the morning.

They have tons of space to roam, and plenty of food to eat.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You are going to have to collect eggs frequently. Start with every 20 mins or so. There are other things to try too, just do a search of egg eaters. They could also be laking protein. Feeding cooked mashed eggs, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, small amount of cat food may help too.

You can try putting "fake eggs" into the nest boxes to show them where to lay. Sometimes when they are new layers it takes them a bit to figure it out even with older hens laying.

Chickens lay whenever during the day that they want to.

Good luck with breaking them.

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Is it normal for chickens to lay eggs at any time during the day?

4. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    I've read that if you want them to lay in the morning, only feed them in the evening? I've tried that, but they seem to be hungry all day. My new batch of pullets don't seem to want to forage much.

5. mudderhen

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Are you only supposed to feed them at certain times? I leave feed out for mine at all times. Should I not do that?

6. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I have feed out for mine all the time 20% layer crumbles along with oyster shell, and grit. Mine also get a handful or two of black oil sunflower seeds a day and left overs. Mine also have a acre to roam in. Egg eating can be a hard thing to stop, make sure the are not hungry or missing something in there diet. I have read some people cook hambuger to give them a boost,also dry fat food in small amounts or also hardboil some eggs for them they can have the shells also just smash them real good so they look nothing like whole eggs.

7. mudderhen

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Thanks that was very helpful. I have another question for you. I have the 18- 8 week old babies, and I bought 4 grown hens from a sale yesterday. No eggs yet... The babies are on 22% grower ration, and I did buy layer crumbles for the big girls. The layer only has 15% protein. Will the big girls still lay if they eat the grower feed? I don't know how to separate the feeds for the different size birds.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My chickens do lay eggs at different times of the day. I have one that lays green eggs, sometimes in the morning sometimes afternoon and sometimes skips a day. I don't know why this is. But yes, it is best to let them have food all day. When they free range, they eat off and on all day and that is how their systems work. Try and put oyster shell in there too, and if they just started laying, the shells may be a little on the soft side and cracking very easy and then they will eat them. One of my hens likes to eat her egg the second she lays it, but the shell will be so thin it cracks easy. She is getting better about not eating them but yesterday just me picking up the egg broke it so today I am going to get oyster shell. I make sure they have layer crumbles so they are not hungry cuz mine will eat the eggs if they are hungry. Hopefully yours will learn soon to lay in nest boxes, are they low to the ground? Mine stopped laying in their boxes and on the ground instead, so I put a new box in there and it is on the ground and they lay in it now. [​IMG]

9. LazyGirl

Dec 29, 2007
    Thanks. I had a suspicion that they may not have enough protein (I was just saying in another post that my chicks are late bloomers). I will try more protein. I get homemade organic feed from a farmer, so I don't know the protein content for sure. I just know that it's layer feed, and my friend uses the same for her organic flock of 100.
    I will also try feeding them more. I just was hoping they would forage more, but the pullets just lay around all day waiting to be fed!
    My 6 ladies (1 yr olds) forage wonderfully and barely eat any feed. I was hoping the pullets would do the same.

10. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have 23 pullets that just started laying this week. They are laying on the floor of the coop, and just as quickly, they are eating the eggs! HELP!
    How do I get them to lay in the nest boxes ? (I have 6 older ones that do, so they should have figured it out)
    How do I get them to stop eating the eggs? This morning i went out every hour to check the eggs. No eggs at 10, and at 11, there were 3 on the floor and all had been eaten.
    Also, why do my chickens lay eggs at any time of the day? There are never eggs in the morning.

They have tons of space to roam, and plenty of food to eat.

Trying putting wood eggs in the laying boxes, that may help them go there and then they can't break those open and maybe they will stop trying to break their own open.

You may want to get them some grit and oyster shells mixed and feed it out along with their food and that should help with their shell craving. ( In a seperate feeder)

My chickens will lay various times throughout the day. You may need to listen for their bragging sounds then you know to go out and check and collect.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by