1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg eaters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewBostonChick, Jul 21, 2011.

1. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Oh gosh... what do you do about egg eaters? Since I added 2 girls into my flock a few weeks ago, I have discovered they are eating the eggs.. now, my other hens are doing this also!! I just walked in to gather eggs and one girl was sitting right outside the nesting box having a feast on an egg!! I try to go in several times a day to check for eggs, but how do you break this bad habit? Thanks for your replies....

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The only sure fire way to never have egg eaters is to build roll away nestboxes. The eggs is layed, then it rolls to a box outside the coop so the hens can't get to them. You could try feeding them extra protein (gamebird feed, meat scraps, mashed boiled egg). Or they could just be bored. My birds really enjoy flock blocks. You can get them at the co-op or make your own. Heads of cabbage are good for curing boredom as well, hang somewhere in the run so they have to work to pick at it. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by