1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Eaters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetPeas11, Oct 9, 2013.

1. SweetPeas11

SweetPeas11 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    My RIR's have been laying for about 6 weeks now. Out of my Three Ameraucanas, only one has started laying. They have a large coop, six nesting boxes filled with shavings, and a large pen. They have been using the nesting boxes from the very beginning and it is dark and homey in the boxes. About a week ago when I went to gather the eggs a blue one was under the roosting boards. It was broken on the bottom but not eaten. She usually skips a day between laying. Two days later, the same thing but the egg had been opened and eaten. Today, same thing. The mystery is that she has always used the nesting box. And judging from the location of the egg, it wasn't thrown out of the box. They are on high quality laying crumbles that contain all the necessary nutrients. They have plenty of fresh water daily and lots of room to run. Any suggestions? Most solutions are for chickens that are eating eggs in the nesting boxes. So what do you do in this situation?

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I would take two eggs, blow them, fill them with mustard, and then put one in the nest box, one under the roost.

3. SweetPeas11

SweetPeas11 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Thank you! I will definitely try it tomorrow.

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    I use ceramic eggs. Lay one in the nest and one on the floor . They will learn that eggs are not edible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by