Egg eating and Thin shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HenGirl805, Jun 23, 2019.

1. HenGirl805

HenGirl805 In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2017
    Western Pennsylvania
    So I usually find at least one or two eggs broken... yolk everywhere! They usually don't break all them and sometimes they don't break any... any suggestions???

Also, their egg shells are very thin. I picked one up and it broke in my hand. I mixed the oyster shell in their food and have looked at other ways to give it to them but they just don't eat it. Any suggestions there??

EggWalrus likes this.
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think the two issues could be related to low calcium in their diet.

What kind of feed are you feeding?

What kind of chicken breeds?

How long have they been doing this? (No signs of illness...no sneezing, coughing, raspy sounds, nasal drainage?) Viral infections, even mild, such as Egg Drop Syndrome and Infectious Bronchitis can cause poor egg quality as the first noticeable symptom.

If you are confident not illness...

Hybrid layers (like Red Sexlinks) need an incredible amount of calcium. Are you feeding them a true layer feed? Or attempting an all flock or organic mill mix with supplemental oyster shell. I find hybrid layers, Leghorns, and other high production types really need the designated layer feed. (Check the label to make sure it is within pull date too).

Is it possible your birds could be low in Vitamin D? I note you are in Western Pennsylvania so you probably get sunshine, unlike my often cloudy Oregon. But we poultry keepers here in Oregon know that our birds can get low in Vitamin D which can cause loss of calcium and affect egg quality.

My thoughts.
    LofMc

EggWalrus likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Feeding oyster shell in a separate dish is better, rather than adding it to a (hopefully) balanced ration.
    Older birds, and a few other individuals, can have thin shelled eggs, which break easily. It can be temporary, or not.
    Dietary imbalances can be the problem; what are you feeding, including extras?
    Mary

EggWalrus and chickens really like this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Any other stress in their lives?
    Mary

EggWalrus likes this.
  5. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    I know feeding a non layer feed and supplementing with oyster shell is very popular on this site, and I often do it myself. However, while it works for most birds, it doesn’t work for all birds, especially high production birds.

In general, I recommend NOT mixing Oyster Shell with feed, it should be on the side.

For your situation, I recommend finding a layer with the highest amount of calcium and feeding that until your birds are laying decent shells. 4 to 4.5 percent calcium will help them catch up. I would also continue offering OS on the side while their bodies are catching up on Calcium.

Try that and let us know how it’s working out.

EggWalrus likes this.
  6. HenGirl805

HenGirl805 In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2017
    Western Pennsylvania
    I feed them layer feed... they are barred rocks and rhode island reds. No illnesses and for a few months. They are pretty low stress hens.

EggWalrus likes this.
  7. Crs1

Crs1 Songster

May 13, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    I’m having issues with thin eggs also.
    I feed gamebird grower finisher 22% protein with oyster shell mixed with eggshells on the side
    Hens devour the eggshell but barely touch the oyster shell and only have limited supply of eggshells so that’s why I mix them
    Reason for the way I feed is I have had 4 broodys in the past month or so right now I have 3 pullets at 4 weeks and 3 Broody’s sitting on a total of 12 eggs. The hens and chicks are part of the flock I don’t seperate them and they say the layer feed is not good for non layers.
    So if there are any suggestions....
    Thanks
    Connie

EggWalrus likes this.
  8. twendt

twendt Songster

Feb 23, 2019
    SE Wisconsin
    I agree, offer oyster shell in a separate bowl, I've noticed that my chickens don't care for large pieces of oyster shell, so I have to find a brand with small pieces. I also give my girls Spring greens salad mix. I think this also helps their egg shells.

EggWalrus likes this.
  9. cluckcluckhens

cluckcluckhens Songster

May 4, 2015
    PNW
    Weak eggs
    Oyster shells we mix with their layena feed. Our girls eat it this way for many years now. We get our supplies at Wilco Farm store in town. The layers here are Wyandottes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: