Egg Eating chicken, Plastic eggs, and a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherLynn, May 15, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok so I asked advise on here about my egg eating chicken. I got wonderful advise about golf balls. My husband hates golf though so I have no golf balls so I used plastic easter eggs. Worked like a charm. Not one egg eaten since.

Problem, my wanting to be broody hen who was only slightly pissy is now all out insane. She has decided to hatch the plastic eggs and attack anyone coming in the coop even if they are just brining in food and water. Even picking her potato bugs as a peace offering did not work. She won't give back the plastic eggs either. She attacks which upsets the rooster, which means the entire coop gets rather too excited for my taste. Sooo ummm how long does this broody thing last and would this happen again if I just stop being cheap and go buy golf balls?

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    At this point, the golf balls won't help, she will probably try to hatch them as well. Put her in a cage or crate with a wire bottom, up off the ground for a couple days. This *should* break her of being broody. (Something to do with cool air on their belly's)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by