Egg-Eating Chicken

chicklover56

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2015
Kansas
I have a chicken that is done laying. She stays up in the coop all day. Yesterday I noticed a cracked egg in one of the nesting boxes. I didn't think much of it, but went out again today, and there was a beak-sized hole in one of them! I don't know what to do, but I don't want to lose all of my eggs because of her!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have a chicken that is done laying. She stays up in the coop all day. Yesterday I noticed a cracked egg in one of the nesting boxes. I didn't think much of it, but went out again today, and there was a beak-sized hole in one of them! I don't know what to do, but I don't want to lose all of my eggs because of her!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

When you say she is done laying - is she aged out of production, on a pause due to molt/season or? Are you certain that she is the culprit? While I do see that evidence points in that direction, until/unless you are sure it IS her that is to blame. If she is aged out of her productive life I would be lining up a place for her in my stew pot or rehoming her WITH full disclosure of her habit. If she is simply temporarily out of production I might consider attempting one of the various approaches to breaking the habit. I would not leave the situation unchecked in one way or another, though, as "chicken see/chicken do" can come into play and soon you have not one egg eater, but several.

When you say she is done laying - is she aged out of production, on a pause due to molt/season or? Are you certain that she is the culprit? While I do see that evidence points in that direction, until/unless you are sure it IS her that is to blame. If she is aged out of her productive life I would be lining up a place for her in my stew pot or rehoming her WITH full disclosure of her habit. If she is simply temporarily out of production I might consider attempting one of the various approaches to breaking the habit. I would not leave the situation unchecked in one way or another, though, as "chicken see/chicken do" can come into play and soon you have not one egg eater, but several.
I actually do not know if it due to season or she was actually done. I got her from a guy a couple months ago in warm weather - she hasn't laid since then, so I'm assuming she's done. I am pretty positive she's the one. She stays up in the coop all day. My chickens are not for meat purposes - they live out their final days with me. I might see if anyone is willing to take her.

Thank you for your advice - It is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom