Egg Eating Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nannynooners1, Jul 5, 2011.

1. nannynooners1

nannynooners1 New Egg

May 31, 2011
    I have an old hen from 7 years ago. She is from my original batch of hens. She does not hang out with the new group of Rangers but
    keeps to her hold haunting grounds. The old pen has been torn down and we have a prairie schooner type for the newby's. The egg eater ( lets call her fluffy cheeks) likes to find the eggs that are laid in random places by the duck and by another old hen that likes to lay
    in the Alpaca shed. Is she just old and going coo coo or is she lacking something in her diet. I sprinkle oyster shell off and on near or in their food. I know chickens can be cannibalistic as a fact but is she just doomed for the stewing pot or is there hope for this old gal. Sorry if I have posted this twice, I am trying to post it in the right category. This is new to me ( a new member).
    Thanks.
    nannynooners1

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Hi there and [​IMG]! Your hen might need more protein in her diet. You can also give her a dose of vitamins. It is a starting point to see if it helps.

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have hens that do this very thing but I don't know how to stop this behavior, though some things may improve it. Gathering the eggs more frequently (if at all possible) can reduce the opportunity for the egg eating to occur. Keeping her in an enclosed coop/run will help, also if feasible. Other than that I do not know if the behavior will ever stop totally. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by