egg eating chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by squat, Aug 26, 2008.

1. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    We have one or two chickens who peck a hole in the egg after laying it. Sometimes we find the broken egg on the floor of the coop and it appears that they haven eaten the shell. Any suggestions.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    heard this is caused from lacking Grit. also heard calcium. cures- Feed them the egg until they get enough. Turn them loose on the yard for awhile. give them Granit-grit (SP?) "my dad did this" and feed them oyster shells

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Feed them the egg until they get enough

shouldn't you boil eggs and grind up the shells before giving it to them so they aren't 'attracted' to eggs in the shell???​

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:shouldn't you boil eggs and grind up the shells before giving it to them so they aren't 'attracted' to eggs in the shell???

i never did that with mine.. and mine stopped it.

5. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    That is a good suggestion. My d'uccle has started eating her eggs recently and I was gonna ask about it. I am glad I checked this out!

6. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    We started saving our egg shells and feeding them back to the chickens. They no longer peck holes in their eggs after laying them. Problem solved!

7. The Farmers Wife

The Farmers Wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Arkansas
    If none of these ideas works for you,,,,a quick fix for us was tacking a piece of sturdy cloth over the entrance into the nest.....the darkness inside the nest box made them not want to hang around.......they push right through the "denim" flap, lay their eggs and get out.......worked great for us.....(we left about a 1 inch gap at the bottom........
    My Grandmother swore by wooden eggs or gourds....a few hard pecks on a shell that was hard enough to rattle them was enough......though I have not tried this myself...that was my next option....but the cloth fixed my egg eating Marans and Barnevelders......which were my offenders~ [​IMG]

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Yea feeding the egg back to the chickens may help the problem. They egg eating may be due to a lack of Calcium. Just remember to clean them and make them somewhat unrecognizable. I crush mine up and sprinkle it directly back in the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by