Egg eating goose how to fix???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Mar 27, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Last week I found a broken egg....thought darn someone must have stood on it or something. But today I found another one, yolk and everything gone. Just the shell was left.

Now what, how do I fix this??? I'm not even sure who is doing it....there are 2 girls and a gander to pick from.

Ughhhhh, I try to collect eggs 3-5 times a day (depending on if I'm at work or not) not sure what else to do it this keeps happening [​IMG]

2. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a predator.. geese dont really do this.

3. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I checked out the egg more...and looks like a soft shelled egg. There is a shell but it is soft for sure. I'll take them out some oyster shell in the morning and see if that helps. But I'm sure it is a goose.

4. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    3 choices
    1-sell the geese
    2-eat the geese
    3-kill the geese

once a breed of poultry starts eating eggs it's nearly impossible to stop them

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    jack & mommy's duckies :

I checked out the egg more...and looks like a soft shelled egg. There is a shell but it is soft for sure. I'll take them out some oyster shell in the morning and see if that helps. But I'm sure it is a goose.

If the eggs are soft shelled that is the problem you want to fix. The soft shells are extremely easy to break, and moisture evaporates from them quickly. A broken egg will attract bugs, slugs, rodents and wild birds and they can finish the contents off in a very short time. I'm sure if you give your geese oyster shell your problem will be gone.​

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:We agree on this at least, I have seen Crows and Gulls break eggs and eat contents, Herons are reported to do so also but I have never seen them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by