egg eating hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tom076, May 2, 2016.

1. tom076

tom076 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2016
    Dardanelle, Arkansas
    I'm new at this chicken thing, I suspect that one of my 6 hens is eating eggs, first I found an egg in the nest without any shell, then over the next two days I found two eggs that had been pipped, (had holes in shell) today I was cleaning out nest boxes and had two perfect eggs in one box, moved one egg to adjaceint box went out an hour or two later and a hen was in the box, this evening I went to collect eggs, found a hen sitting in the nest with two eggs under her, the other box was empty, a hen could not roll an egg from one nest to the other, it would fall to the floor. How can I determine which hen is the culprit?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will need to quietly observe them. I would advise you not to leave eggs in the nestboxes. Buy some ceramic ones, they can help deter egg eating. Sometimes hens poke holes in eggs with their toenails. Any cracked, floor eggs or soft eggs will be eaten by hens.

3. tom076

tom076 Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2016
    Dardanelle, Arkansas
    Thank you for your suggestion.

4. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    How old are your hens? Shell-less eggs usually don't mean the hen is eating the shell off; it usually happens when chickens are new to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by