Egg eating hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zabrielle23, Feb 7, 2015.

1. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    My rhode island red hen who I have named Candace she mean!!!!!!! Anyway she finally layers an egg and we left it there the next day we found her eating the egg we dont have an incubator yet so why did she eat it
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hatchery production reds are bred for high production. They rarely go broody, so thinking that she may set on her eggs is quite unlikely. She'd let you know if she wanted to set. She'd be in that nest and not willing to move. She'd growl at you if you tried to disturb her. It's a hormonal thing and you cannot force them into it. Nature either makes it happen or it doesn't.

If you're wanting chicks you probably need to look into buying or borrowing an incubator. Collect the eggs in a timely fashion and perhaps she won't have time to eat anymore eggs and she'll forget about it. They often do.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Chickens peck at everything to investigate. Egg eating is a bad habit and can be hard to break once they discover they can eat them. Many people find putting fake eggs in the nesting box so they will peck at them with no profit from their effort works well. Fake eggs also helps young hens learn where to lay their eggs. You can use golf balls or plastic eggs you fill with sand and seal well. Collect all new eggs daily.

4. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    She layers two more eggs after not laying for a day or so. We gave not touched them n she seems to not be bothered by us its only her an a rooster in the time out box because new birds are being introduced to them she so far lays above the eggs I have not seen her on them nor eating them so I'm not sure what too expect

5. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    You need to collect the egg as soon as you can. Once a chicken has tasted raw egg I can be hard to break the habit. Don't take any chances with this. If she becomes an egg eater then she will also go after the other eggs when your new birds start to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by