Egg Eating Hens! Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whiterooster329, Mar 31, 2015.

1. whiterooster329

whiterooster329 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    We have game birds, about a month ago, I had noticed that one of my hens never had any eggs. Originally, I assumed she was just too young, as she was only hatched early last year. One day while I was feeding, I noticed the rooster we have her paired up with was bent over pecking really hard at something. When I investigated, I learned that he was eating one of the eggs, so I assume that she was eating them as well. I took it away, but a few days later, my husband had told me that he moved the hen into a different rooster's coop[​IMG]. Obviously, once he moved the hen to a different rooster, and the original rooster got a different hen, now there are four egg eaters. Now from all the exchanging, I have to watch two different hens to see when they are laying. I have three children, including an infant, My days are pretty full as it is without having to watch for hens to lay eggs! I need to know how to stop this so that I wont have to cull or get rid of them as I have paid too much for them. I have tried the mustard in the hollow egg trick and my hen just ate it anyway. She also will hold her eggs all day and waits to lay until my husband and I are not around. If anyone can help please do!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. whiterooster329

Mar 30, 2015
    Thank you, I'll check it out!

4. whiterooster329

Mar 30, 2015
    Hello again, I just wanted to say thank you for sending me the link for breaking my "egg eaters". My husband and I have tried a few of those tricks, and I am ecstatic about the result! I have noticed for the last three days all of my hens are laying eggs and they are leaving them be, as are the roosters. All but one at least, but I am not sure exactly why he is doing it still, if its because of the taste or what. I am going to try the mustard inside the egg thing with him I believe. But, as I said, I just wanted to Thank You, it really saved my flock!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by