Egg Eating hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ny2317, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ny2317

ny2317 New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Some of my hens have begun to eat eggs. How can I stop them?

2. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Roll away nest boxes. I had to isolate the 2 LaFleche I have because they eat there eggs. I have tryed everything, have only found plastic roll away nest boxes, I would lovea design for a wood one.
    If anyone has a wood design would you share.... Please [​IMG]

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:Opa might be able to help you out with that. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Sometimes this is a diet issue that can be helped with additional protein and oyster shell. Mine were doing this at the end of winter until I upped the protein and added oyster shell directly to their feed. Now I have nice, sturdy shells and the rooster who was causing the problem has given up his egg-breaking ways.

HTH

Rusty

5. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I might have the same problem... Today I did not get to the Eggs soon enough and one broke and the girls were going crazy eating it!! I am so worried they are going to turn into Egg eaters now!!

6. drumstyx

drumstyx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado
    I had the same problem so I put golf balls and some cheep plastic easter eggs in all the nesting boxes. I find the plastic easter eggs out in the run area occasionally. I also check the boxes a few times a day if possible. So far I haven't had any eaten ones again.

7. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I thought I had an egg eater, still not sure. I found 2 eggs broke today but there was 1 that still had the yolk and everything. So I'm thinking they were just stepped on and broke. So now I go in every couple hours and move all the eggs to the top nest boxes where they dont lay.

8. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by