Egg eating or soft shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haemony, Aug 13, 2011.

1. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    UPDATE:

After perusing the forums, seems this is pretty normal and happens frequently. I definitely have two layers because I just got another perfect egg. Another hen must have laid the soft shelled egg that I found in the run. So one hens is laying perfect hard shelled eggs in the nest box and the other is laying soft shelled eggs just randomly wherever. They are not eating them. The first one was just spilled.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That's good news for you. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 Gather up the soft shelled eggs so that they don't develop the 'egg eating' habit. Sometimes early in the process or after a molt hens will lay soft shelled eggs. Given an adequate diet and calcium source, her eggs should become more firm.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Yep your right it is normal. I once watched a hen squating down and was wondering what is she doing when out comes a soft shelled egg. It was funny watching her.

5. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    I've been removing the eggs right away. I have to hunt for the soft ones though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by