egg eating pheasant

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by wildman55, Feb 5, 2014.

1. wildman55

wildman55 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    i have a pair of red gold pheasants that are 2 years old and a pair that are just going on ther second year the problem is the 2 yearold hen is eating her eggs as soon as she lays them any way to stop this ?

2. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    There is a couple of things you can try
    1- Build a box that has alot of straw in the bottom and when she lays them the eggs roll into the back where she can't get to them.
    2- Wait for her to lay the eggs and grab it right before she gets it (obviously this can only be done if you know the time of day she normally lays and if they are comfortable with you in the pen)
    3- Give her something else to peck on other than her eggs
    4- Trim their beaks right to the quick

Are you sure it is her getting to them first and not the male. I had the same problem with my Amherest until I saw the male just waiting until she layed it and then he ran and started pecking it So started documenting the time and days she layed and started going into the pens when I saw her back into the corners. Mine did stop the next year thankfully.

Good Luck

3. wildman55

wildman55 New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    thank you for the help not postive its the hen but pretty sure it is ill try the straw thing and trim the beak maby that will work thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by