EGG EATING Ughhh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mboreham1, Nov 18, 2010.

1. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    I have tried everything, extra protien, unlimted access to food, oyster shell and plenty of space, lots to keep them entertained. I have 6 laying birds, averaging 5 eggs a day which 2 are getting eaten. What can i do to stop them? Help!

I have 3 RIR's, 3 Barred rocks that are laying, a EE rooster that doesnt eat egg, 1 d'uccle that doesnt eat them and a 14 week old RIR.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:only two ways to stop them. Put them in freezer or make a roll away box so they can't get into the eggs. Ask one of my buff orps in the freezer how good them eggs were. Hope this helps.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I have heard if you put golf balls in they will try to eat those- won't be able to and it will discourage them from eating their eggs. I have also heard coating the eggs in mustard will stop them from eating them- not sure about that one but it might not hurt to try! Good luck!

4. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

ForageCakes to the rescue! Make sure you soak one edge for a minute or so in warm water before you put them out for the first time. Never heard a single person continue to have egg eating problems after the introduction of a forage cake.

Nest boxes are of issue to. How many nest boxes do you have per hen?

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    I have 6 nesting boxes, 1 each! although they think its cool to try and fit 3 chickens into one box.

I have had fake wooden eggs in the nesting boxes since i have had them at day 1, i have never had an egg laid outside of a box!

My grandfather took many an egg eating laying hen to freezer camp, i dont mind doing it, i just want to get the other 3 younger birds through the winter to laying time before i decrease the laying flock.

Problem is, they think its a cool game, lay and egg, bawk, bawk, bawk, 2 other chickens come running and bang eaten (picture me running like a mad man attempting to reach the egg before they do!)

I will try the forage cake route and i am planning on trying to make the roll away boxes, i need to have them roll backwards then down to the side of the coop so i can collect without going through the coop (rookie coop making mistake, i have a storm proof coop but have to go throught the main door to get the eggs.....)

Thanks for the input

6. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I'd work on the roll away boxes if I were you. Have you noticed all the obese people? I don't think giving them a nutritional supplement would keep them from their favorite snack. I don't even think more of their favorite snack would keep them from their favorite snack.

7. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I heard you can poke holes on two sides of an egg, blow it out, and fill it with mustard. Then put it back in the nesting box and it will stop them from eating them.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A few tricks I've heard of:

Blowing out eggs and filing them with mustard, horseradish, or liquid soap.

Keep the nests dark, some people will even put "curtains" in front of the nests.

I broke mine by rearranging things in the coop (Shaking things up) and collecting often.

Good luck,
    Imp

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I always have several golf balls in each nest so they learn they can't break them. As mentioned before, make sure their nesting area is dark and has a lot of nesting material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by