Egg eating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkgreenwood, Jun 30, 2016.

1. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    We have 1 hen that is of laying age and was laying daily. She kept laying in the back corner of the coop, so we got some of the 'decoy' eggs and put them in the next box in hopes of getting her to lay in there. Day 1 she laid the egg closer to the next box, but still in the coop floor. Day 2 I found a little yolk-looking substance next to the two decoy eggs, but no egg, shell etc. Day 3 I found a LOT of yolk smeared around the two decoy eggs and no egg, shell etc.

Can I assume we have a chicken that is dining on the eggs? Other possibilities? We're thinking step one is to take the decoy eggs out to see if behavior returns to normal. If not though, is there a way to stop chickens from eating the eggs?

Thanks

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Leave the decoy eggs.
    She may be laying softshell or thinshelled eggs, common with new layers and as they break easily they are fair game for eating IMO.

Is she a new layer?
    If not, what and how exactly are you feeding?
    How many other birds do you have?
    Pics of your coop and nests might offer some clues.

3. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    She is a year old hen we inherited from a friend. His most consistent (daily) layer. Our other chickens are 3 months old and not laying yet. New hen, Frenchy, came to our flock and laid eggs for the first 5 days or so. Then she laid a soft shelled egg and we realized we were feeding the 'grower' food and not 'layer' food for her. We supplemented with oyster shells and within 3 days she was laying again. She laid for about 3 days, normal eggs, then I found the yolk two days in a row. Today, there was nothing. The problems seem to have started when we introduced the decoy eggs...

4. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    There are 3 of the other 3 month old chickens that we have, total flock of 4

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long have you had this layer?
    Sometimes when you move a bird to a new location, new diet it stresses them out, and stress can cause cessation of lay.
    It can also trigger a molt - which also stops laying.
    Is she exactly a year old...or maybe 18 months?
    Stress can also trigger an underlying disease flareup...or make them susceptible to organisms they are not used to.
    As they go out of lay, you can get some funky eggs.

The decoy addition could be a coincidence with the other changes.
    I would worry too much just keep an eye on things.....but I can almost guarantee the fake eggs are not the cause.
    Chickens don't like change...but be patient and they will adjust.

6. kkgreenwood

kkgreenwood Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    SE Michigan
    We have had the new layer for 2-3 weeks. We were told she is a year, not sure exactly. Could she be egg-bound? I read something about this..?

Will be patient and give her time to adjust.

Thanks for your input!

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd just give it time and observe as closely as possible....she's been thru a lot of changes in just a few weeks.
    Every time there's a change, you've got to give it a week or two for adjustment and to see results.

Are these your first birds?
    Might be a good idea to examine her vent and abdomen to get familiar with her anatomy and check for any glaring issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by