egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vanessabuffsnsilkies, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG] I've found remains of 3 eggs in the nest boxes and one on the floor. I did get 3 new layers from a friend of mine and integrated them. Everyone seems to get along, I haven't seen much agression. They all just avoid each other and I check on them CONSTANTLY to make sure all is well in the coo.

I had taken the golf balls out since it seemed everyone knew what to do in the nest boxes, so I put them back in with extra shavings. They have a big bowl of crushed oyster that I mix a little scratch in with. 2 large feeders and one large waterer inside and a smaller one in the run.

I'm pretty sure it's the new ones doing it because it just started when I put them in there.

Any suggestions? I've heard to just cull them but I would like to try to break them of it first for a few days.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read several approaches on here. Blow an egg and fill with mustard. Lots of golf balls and frequent collecting is good. Surest is to change to rollaway nest boxes. Do a search on here for "egg eating."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by