egg eating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bethsplace, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I have a hen who laid for about 1 1/2 months then quit when i put the young roo with the girls. well I have moved him and thought she would start back but has not laid an egg for about 3 months. I went out to get the eggs from my two others and she was in the house and pecked at the eggs in front of me so I scooped them up and started to think maybe she is eating hers. do they eat the whole thing or leave some evidence which I havent found? why would she quit laying and not start back?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There is usually evidence. Maybe only a wet slimy spot.

It's that time of year when hens slow down. Darkness and molting. Are you supplementing light?

I have 2 of 4 that haven't laid in many weeks.

Imp

3. bethsplace

bethsplace Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    no she quit laying back in july! i think the roo upset her so as soon as we finish the second part of our coop which is a seperate coop and run altogether I put him in that by himself and thought she would calm down and start laying again but no if she was laying i would get 3 eggs alot of days but I am not I only see my other big hen in the nesting box and my little cochan never her. has anyone else had a hen who quit laying for this long for no reason, she is not molting either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by