egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlover96, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    my hens aree starting to eat my eggs is there anyway of stoping this

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Yes, there is. You can put some fake eggs in there. And when they peck at them, nothing happens, which confuses them and eventually stop. Also, collect your eggs often.

Some people will even blow out an egg, and fill it with hot mustard. Then the hens get a nasty taste and will stop breaking eggs.

Also, having your nesting box in a very dim area will also help deter egg pecking. Maybe you can hang a curtain or something that will make it super shady in there......

Good luck!

Sharon

3. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    NO there is not. Sadly. My chickens started to do the same thing a while ago, [​IMG] except they only eat the eggs if i have touched them first, for example: if i put an egg on the floor they will begin to eat them. But not if i haven't touched them yet. Also try using golf balls in the coop for a while because if they try to peck at the golf balls they will realise that they cannot be opened and may slow down the egg eating! [​IMG]

4. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I dont know how to stop it, but i have one hen that will lead me to all the different spots where eggs were laid.

the ones that look too dirty i just feed back to her

I guess she learned that shell get a treat if she finds the eggs haha

5. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] That's hilarious!

-S

6. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] That's hilarious!

-S

Of course just as I posted the above, it occurred to me that I regularly feed my chickens hot pepper scraps which they seem to love, so I'm not sure this technique would actually work. Still pretty funny though.

-S

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

The hot stuff doesn`t work because fowl don`t have heat receptors like other beings. I use cayenne pepper for worming. The birds love it, but the worms run out the back. Back to the egg eaters. Never tried it, but blowing out an egg and filling it with dish soap has been said to work. Of course, ya might as well do several at once as one try won`t register. I`ve done the fake egg, golfball thing. They attack them like they`re starving. Good luck.......Pop

8. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I fixed the problem with golf balls and then firguing out who the problem hen was and having her in a different part of the barn before reintroducing her into the flock. And the main thing I did was not to feed them the frozen eggs right away... Silly me I was trying to save steps in the bitter cold and was cracking the frozen ones in front of them and someone got a bit too bright and breaking them before they were frozen or inspected by me...

It does take time and patience, hope it goes well!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i put some golf balls in the nest last night but there was still eggs eatin this morning

10. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think you may have to locate the problem hen and try and separate her. After a week or so without eating eggs she may become reformed. Hopefully she isn't teaching others...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by