egg eating

lily12

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
one of my girls doesnt seem herself. she doesn't eat or drink much her cobm is going purplely also she dosen't walk round the garden much she just sleeps. has started eating her eggs and i was wondering if this could make her ill.
D.gif

Dont think eating her own egg would harm her, unless there is something wrong with her eggs. I'd be more concearned with whats causing the purple comb, is she warm enough? Try looking up things that would make the comb change color/ turn purple.

i think she has vent gleet as her feathers are fluffed up she stands hunched up and have slept the whole day. also she has poo all round her vent has lost weight and doesn't eat much. i gave her a bath to clean her vent and have separated her from the others.
Thanks for the advice
D.gif

I don't really know of any advice i could give to help you, but my hens love to eat their eggs. And i don't like eggs so it don't get on them about eating them or anything especiallly since it is winter, by the time i get out there to gather eggs they have been in the cold to long anyway. So sometimes i even break them open for them to eat, they shell and all that is my golden comet favorite part. So if it makes you feel any better about your situation your chicken should be fine eating her eggs.

She was about 18 months when we got her so shes about 2 year old now and shes started to lay less often now because shes an ex-battery hen.
D.gif

Your bird isn't feeling well.....you might want to check her out and look up the symptoms on the internet.
Coccidiosis ... ? Or something else... ?
If she is eating eggs, she might need you to feed her some oyster shells.
Good luck....Hope you can figure it out and she gets to being her ole self..!

If her comb is looking purple it appears that she may have a respiratory problem, have you recently treated your flock for mice/lice and worms? If not, it may be advisable to do so... you should isolate the sick chicken and keep her somewhere warm where she will not have to use excess energy.

Try feeding her scrambled egg or tuna fish to encourage her to eat.

Mites/lice can cause chickens to be very ill or even die from an infestation, treat the flock with a permethryn based powder and also treat the coop.

Suzie

thanks i will try feeding her tuna and scrambbled egg tomorrow and no we havent had them treated for mice/lice.
thanks again.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom