Egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by louisianarednek, Mar 21, 2013.

1. louisianarednek

louisianarednek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Idk if this is the right place I just need help I have 14 red sex linked hens and the lay seven to eleven eggs a day but the last couple of days they have ate one and today they ate one and cracked two more how do I stop it and its only happening in one nest

2. kwhit

kwhit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Mansfield, MA
    I haven't tried it but I heard you can put some golf balls in the nest.

3. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

A good start would be to make some extra trips to collect the eggs and not allow them to sit around too long. Definitely sounds like you have an egg eater. That can be tough if let go too long. Once other hens see the one hen eating an egg they automatically will consider it a food source.

If this catches on there could be a catastrophe and all the hens may pick up that habit. Try and keep a close eye on any one of the birds going from nesting box to nesting box as if they are looking for something. Also look out for egg yolk along the sides of the beaks and the culprit could be found then.

If you find this hen separate her from the rest. Go to a craft store and pick up a couple of porcelain eggs. Put the separated hen with the porcelain eggs. She will try and try and eventually give up trying to crack the egg. Give her a week or two in confinement and see if the other eggs remain untouched. If eggs are still being found eaten you have another culprit.

Process of elimination is a long way around it but it is a must so you don't end up with all the girls eating the eggs. Sux when that happens. If the egg eating continues you may not have much of a choice but to cull the culprit. Some people will drain an egg of the fluids and put mustard in the egg. It is supposed to be a deterrent because of the taste but I use the mustard trick to find out who has it on their beaks when I do find that mustard filled egg broken. Best of luck, hope you can stop it.... Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by