Egg Experts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heidi, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    My buff orpington, Lola, who is 25 weeks old sat in her nesting box this morning for just over 3 hours. When she got in there was no eggs - when she got off (my son was right there) there were 2 eggs. She has never sat so long - usually 30 minutes. Is it possible she layed 2 eggs? No other pullet could fit in there with her cause she's pretty big. The other pullets prefer the other 3 boxes too. I checked on her every 30 minutes too - I don't think she got out and then went back in either. What do you think?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible, but very rare for a hen to lay two eggs in one day, especially if they are both in good shape, you know not shell-less.

I've seen a hen jump in a nest on top of another hen to lay an egg! I've also dragged three hens out of one box when they got wedged in there. Guess they couldn't agree who should go first! [​IMG]

But yeah, it is possible. [​IMG]

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Thanks for your reply. I figured it out today. I thought Lola was too big to share a nesting box, but today when I went in to collect eggs she pretty much was being sat/set on by one of my ameracauna's. Few minutes later - 2 eggs. The ameracauna's lay so quick - 5 to 10 minutes and they are out of there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by