Egg Fertility 90% to 75% to 50% - can Roo top hens and not fertilize??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by b-cuz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. b-cuz

b-cuz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Meriwether Co., GA
    My friend has been hatching eggs with his incubators. He has a 1 year old Rooster. His egg fertility has gone from 90% for first hatches to 75%, then to 50% on the last hatch. What would cause the fertility percentage to drop? He asked, "Can the roo mate hens and not fertilize the eggs?".
    Any ideas?

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    B-cuz, first let me welcome you to byc!! So glad to have you. In answer to your question....it must be possible as I have read many on here who do "test" hatches in their incubators before selling any eggs.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Is he getting with all the hens, mine will tend to just go after the easy ones, thus those not wanting to accept his advances are left alone, so would be same as having no roo.

[​IMG]

4. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:FIRST let me say I tried to be first to Welcome you, but I type toooooo slow.

I think the test hatching is two fold,
    1) it allows those with potential hatching eggs to get more chicks without thier SO's blessing, because you wouldnt want to send out non-fertilized eggs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2) It ensures that a young roo has gotten the rutine right, often when starting out they go through the motions, but miss the spot.

So I would go with the post above about only the easy hens getting fertilized.

5. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Content removed by moderation for inuendo...please review the rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mother Nature seems to have everything worked out. Spring always presents the most healthy and strongest brood of the year. Trying to fool Mother and her roos, result in a 50% hatch, which is normal and a blessing, in my opinion. Good Luck, and nothing but the best.

bigzio

7. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    edited by moderation...

edited to say sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Could it be an issue with the incubator?

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I have edited this thread for reasons I am sure those of you who posted inappropriate content can understand. Please stay on topic.

As to the question, it is common for fertility to naturally decline this time of year, especially if the rooster (and hens) are starting to moult. Any signs of moult?

Jody

10. b-cuz

b-cuz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Meriwether Co., GA
    Thanks everyone. This info helps a lot and is what I kinda figured. Yes, there were a lot of feathers 3 to 4 weeks ago.

Again, thanks for the good info. I passed it on to my friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by