Egg Fertility Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shamrock4, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Shamrock4

Shamrock4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Hi, I havebeen trying to hatch eggs from my runner ducks fo 2 years now. I have one duckling that will hatch around the 28th. This is the first fertile egg so far and I've set about 70 eggs between last year and this year.The other eggs I set with this one were also infertile. The hen layed them the 25th 26th 27th 28th and 29th of march. His egg was the one layed on the 28th, and they were all stored in the same place and turned twice a day untill I set them on the 1st of april. Last year I tried to hatch eggs in an incubator, under a broody hen, and I let the duck sit on some herself. This year I have tried to hatch some under a broody hen (the five layed in march are under her), and in an incubator that I bouht this year. None exept the one were fertile. Any ideas why this is happening?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How do you know they are infertile? There are many reasons they may not develop and infertility is only one of them. Have you checked for fertility on eggs you are eating (i.e. the ones you crack open and can see the bullseye in the yolk).

If they are truly infertile, then it sounds like your male is not doing his job and needs to be replaced. But if the reason they are not developing is one of the other factors, then a change in incubation methods might be all you need.

3. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds as though you've tried all methods of incubation. Are you candling? Seems as though you have a barren male who needs to be replaced.

4. Shamrock4

Shamrock4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Michigan
    The ones that I have eaten also dont seem to be fertile, but I cant be sure. I have tried to hatch most of them so I havent seen the insides of many.
    I have used 2 different incubators at many different humidity settings, 3 different broody hens that are very good with sticking to their eggs and not abandoning etc., and the duck hen. Chickens are hatching fine out of the second incubator. I didnt have much luck with the first incubator but all the fertile chicken eggs at least started developing.
    I candle before setting, then at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 days. Usually by 5 days the eggs are already starting to rot (yolks really loose and marbled, and air sacs loose). The eggs are usually fine when I candle them before setting, and I dont set rotting eggs.
    If the male was barren, why would one egg be fertile? It is developing normally, and the hatch date is next friday. None of the other eggs have even started to develop. I dont have any other ducks, or even geese (since it is possible to have a duck/goose hybrid).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, maybe barren was a strong term to use as he has fathered one. Maybe he has a low sperm count? Maybe the female can't store the sperm - as they do for a couple of weeks, don't they? I am new to this. Maybe introduce a new male and female to the flock. See if it can get your fertility up? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by