Egg fertility (Re-candled eggs Mon. 1-14-08)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KingsCalls, Jan 11, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I candled the 20 eggs that I put in the bator 6 days ago tonight. We have 14 silkie eggs and 6 blue orp bantam eggs. The best I can tell we have 8 fertile silkie eggs and 4 fertile blue orp eggs. On a couple they have veins in them but a dark 1/4" or so ring around them. I figure these are no good. Oh well, we are down to 12 fertile eggs.

Monday 1-14-08
    We re-candled eggs tonight and this is the results.....We are not down to 12 fertile eggs! We have 16 good eggs and only 4 bad one's!!!!!! We are so glad that we did not through those questionable eggs out now! We have 11 good silkies and 5 good blue orp bantams...........................

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes there will be a vein that looks a bit like a blood ring, but unless the veins are just gone and only a blood ring is there, they can fool you. I don't know how to say it right, but I left a few in early on in my hatching career and what I thought might be a blood ring was only a larger vein, althought 1/4" is pretty large. Have you tossed them yet, Jeff?

3. Hi!
    Are they shipped eggs or from your own birds?
    Are you confusing 'fertility' with 'viability'?
    If shipped, that's not terrible.
    If from your own birds, then you have issues.

Good luck with the rest!
    Lisa

4. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    NO......I left them and was going to re-candle in 3 days. Think that's o.k. to do? Thanks, Cyn

5. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    They are my own eggs. Well, from my own birds! LOL

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If there were still veins radiating out along the sides of the eggs in question, then, yes, I think it's fine to re-candle in 3 days. I usually mark mine in pencil with numbers so I can recall which ones were the questionable eggs and only re-do those. If you didnt mark them, that may be something to do in the future.

7. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Please re-read the original post............We re-candled 1-14-08

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When I have a questionable egg at candling on day 7 I always mark a ? mark on the egg and wait til day 14....saved many an egg that way when I first started hatching....

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Exactly the reason that I always drag my feet on tossing out an egg.....afraid I might be wrong!!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I candle on day 6 14 and 18, but rarely toss before the day 14 date. By then there is no mistaking development. I too like to be better safe than sorry. Haven't had a stinky one yet either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by