Egg fertility

Pseitz

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
My drake, Don, died about a week ago. We’ve had a terrible time with a bear. We even added hot wire, but Don thought he was a hero and must have stuck his head out of the fence to try and get it because it got ripped off. We added fine mesh fencing so we think we’re secure now, that’s not the issue. (Just wanted to give you back story)

Kathy, Don’s mate, has dealt with his death by building a huge nest and sitting on the eggs. I’m going to let her do it regardless, not that I have a choice she gets nasty when anyone goes near her, but I’m wondering if there is any hope of them hatching if she hasn’t mated for a few days. She is a Buff Duck. I’ve read it can happen but I’m just looking for personal experiences.

We have sectioned her off from everyone else and she has her own pool and food. We haven’t seen her moved move off the nest.

Chicken hens can store sperm for 3 + weeks with decreasing fertility the longer from mating. I doubt that ducks are much different. There is no reason that her eggs should not be fertile if they were breeding. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom