Egg filled with poop? A Sunday morning suprise.

Kernel Cluck

Songster
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
In front of wood stove keeping warm.
So this morning I was making a fried egg sandwich for my wife who is going to be gone for the day. When I cracked the second egg.... the entire contents were black! I mean black and also very smelly. Unfortunately i cracked it into a hot skillet, so what ever it was stunk to high heaven. It smelled so bad I couldn't stand to take a picture. I didn't look like and undeveloped chick. More like an egg full of poop but that is just a guess. Is this possible?

Your chicken may have a staph aureus infection in her body. That can cause black or green eggs. If you know which one it is you can treat her with antibiotics or cull her.

I have seen others on BYC giving or talking about antibiotics but I have always wondered where you get them. If I go to my local TSC will they be able to help me? We do not refrigerate our eggs. Is is possible that I got a egg that was rotten? I try to rotate but I suppose there is a chance it sat way too long. Shouldn't it smell like.. well... rotten eggs? Because that is not at all what it smelled like.

Last edited:
Antibiotics like Procaine Penicillin G, Tylan 50, Duramycin 10, and others can be bought at TSC and other farms stores. Pen G is in a refrigerator. I have read of only one other person who has had this kind of egg. You may want to research it on google or do a search here at the top of the page about it.

I have seen others on BYC giving or talking about antibiotics but I have always wondered where you get them. If I go to my local TSC will they be able to help me? We do not refrigerate our eggs. Is is possible that I got a egg that was rotten? I try to rotate but I suppose there is a chance it sat way too long. Shouldn't it smell like.. well... rotten eggs? Because that is not at all what it smelled like.
I use nothing but oral or injectable antibiotics, which you can find very easily online. Two that I like to have are Baytril 10% injectable and Clavamox 250mg tablets.

-Kathy

Last edited:
After "googling" it... (isnt funny how that has turned into a verb?) I am leaning towards bad egg that grew bacteria. Based on the smell. I stumbled into a chat room where this was the topic from 2009. Now I just need to get my stomach to stop turning every time I think of eating another egg. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom