Egg filled with poop? A Sunday morning suprise.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kernel Cluck, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

So this morning I was making a fried egg sandwich for my wife who is going to be gone for the day. When I cracked the second egg.... the entire contents were black! I mean black and also very smelly. Unfortunately i cracked it into a hot skillet, so what ever it was stunk to high heaven. It smelled so bad I couldn't stand to take a picture. I didn't look like and undeveloped chick. More like an egg full of poop but that is just a guess. Is this possible?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chicken may have a staph aureus infection in her body. That can cause black or green eggs. If you know which one it is you can treat her with antibiotics or cull her.

3. Kernel Cluck

I have seen others on BYC giving or talking about antibiotics but I have always wondered where you get them. If I go to my local TSC will they be able to help me? We do not refrigerate our eggs. Is is possible that I got a egg that was rotten? I try to rotate but I suppose there is a chance it sat way too long. Shouldn't it smell like.. well... rotten eggs? Because that is not at all what it smelled like.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Antibiotics like Procaine Penicillin G, Tylan 50, Duramycin 10, and others can be bought at TSC and other farms stores. Pen G is in a refrigerator. I have read of only one other person who has had this kind of egg. You may want to research it on google or do a search here at the top of the page about it.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use nothing but oral or injectable antibiotics, which you can find very easily online. Two that I like to have are Baytril 10% injectable and Clavamox 250mg tablets.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  6. Kernel Cluck

After "googling" it... (isnt funny how that has turned into a verb?) I am leaning towards bad egg that grew bacteria. Based on the smell. I stumbled into a chat room where this was the topic from 2009. Now I just need to get my stomach to stop turning every time I think of eating another egg. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

1 person likes this.
  7. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    This was super interesting. Please update if she lays more like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by