Egg flavor like the old days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigbuc, Dec 11, 2013.

1. bigbuc

bigbuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2013
    llano county, Texas
    I'd like to get eggs that taste like they did when I was a kid. A lot more flavor. I presume they've altered the feed to lower the cholesterol.
    We have 5 red sex link and 4 black. We usually get 9 eggs a day.
    We let them out to free range at least 5 times a week. Layena, is the feed we give them. I'm guessing that's purina since our feed store mostly had that brand.
    What can I supplement them with? Another feed?
    We got them in March as new chicks and they started laying in July. Big eggs by August.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, i dont know how old you are but in the day the feed was table scraps, whatever they could find on their own and a handful of corn. never saw anyone running to the store and standing there for half hr. like i do trying to decide what food is right.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Feed them lizards, baby mice, fresh cow dung, a hand full of yellow dent corn, and by all means let them clean up the container that you slop the hogs in.

You will know when you have the correct recipe because the yellows will be darker, almost orange, and the texture and taste stronger. Now I want to wish you luck in getting your children and spouse to even touch an old timey egg. Let us know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  4. bigbuc

bigbuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2013
    llano county, Texas
    Thanks. We give them cooked potato peels a little cat food all the grasshoppers we or they can catch. When they're out it's up to them. We watch them since we have foxes, coyote, bobcats, panthers, coons etc.
    One thing. Chickens are cheaper to keep fed than rabbits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Funny!

Is this like children not wanting to drink milk right out of a cow because it doesn't taste like the milk from the grocery store?

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    are you supposed to give them cooked potato? i know raw is bad

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Uncooked potato is fine also. Just don't give them green potato skins.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by