1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg freshness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ncgrad00, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Salem
    I have read that if you wash an egg when you get it from the hen it washed off the protective layer on the eggs that keeps bacteria out of it. Is this true and should I not be washing the egg? I guess if you dont wash it when you get it you should wash it before you use it correct?

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Yes and no. It is true it has a protective coating called a bloom. If you need to wash it because of poo or something else, then you should use it first. If it is not dirty you don't need to wash it at all. I wash very few of mine. I only do so when they are obviously soiled, then they go in a special basket to be used first.

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

this is an arguable topic. i was my eggs the day they are laid, some people dont wash until right before they use them. we use eggs fast enough at my house i dont worry about them not being fresh enough

4. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Hi! When a hen lays an egg it does have a protective barrier (called the bloom). If you're skeeved (sp?) out about dirty eggs, you can wash them. But the bloom does protect the egg against bacteria entering its porous shell.

The easiest thing to do is just wipe the dirtyness off with a damp paper towel. The eggs I sell to customers I clean off, but the ones I keep for myself I don't do such a great job. If I hard boil I figure it will clean itself. You don't eat the shells [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by