Egg from the same hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BatonRougeChick, Dec 7, 2013.

1. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Hi all. I have spring chicks which are starting to lay one by one. So far 2 of 4 are laying. Today, I found a completely different shaped and colored egg. My oldest hen has been laying for 3 months now and every single one of her eggs is like the one in the left. Never variation. Another has been laying for about 3 weeks now and her eggs are the larger ones in the center. They also have never varied in shape or color yet. But today I only got one from my older hen on the left, and the mystery egg on the right. I am wondering if the one on the right is just an unusual egg from the hen that always lays like the middle ones, or if I have a 3rd hen laying. I'll find out as the days go on but was wondering what y'all think.

[​IMG]

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I would say a third hen started laying. Hopefully a fourth hen will also start laying soon.

What are their breeds and ages?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. .x2 the size of the egg on the left looks like a first egg.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s possible the same hen laid that light egg. The way it works with the egg shell coloring for dark brown eggs, the hen puts the shell on in the shell gland first then spends the last two or three hours before the egg is laid to put the brown coating on top. If something got her excited, she might have laid that egg before the brown was all on there. That’s why you might on rare occasions get an unusually light egg.

But that’s pretty rare. I’d bet a lot of your money and a little of mine that you have a third pullet laying. Congratulations.

5. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Yay I hope so. I am not sure of the breeds because they all may be mixed- my friend has 60+ so there's no way of knowing who the parents are. But 2 are red, one buff, and one is mostly black. The 2 reds were hatched in April and the other 2 (and my rooster who was supposed to be a hen) was hatched on June 8.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I just went out and checked and have eggs from the other 2. The one that lays the big eggs only lays every other day and she laid this morning, so that leads me to believe the skinny egg is from another hen! It's not only the color, but the shape Is completely different. This mystery egg is much skinnier and long than the others.

[​IMG]

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Those pullets hatched in June are the right age to start laying.

8. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Congratulations.

The eggs are usually smaller when a pullet first starts laying. The young pullets' eggs should get bigger.

9. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    It's official! I have 3 layers! I got all 3 of these within 3 hours today. I think the new light skinny eggs are from my buff girl. Exciting!

[​IMG]

10. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

That's great.

Hopefully that fourth pullet will start laying eggs soon. Maybe that fourth pullet will have even a different color on her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by