Egg frozen to my hens chin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bassplayer5, Jan 1, 2015.

1. bassplayer5

bassplayer5 New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Fellow urban chicken farmers! I've got a tough one for you. One of my girls had an egg frozen to her chin yesterday. I was able to cut it out with no problem or injury to her. However, she is not walking today. She was yesterday. She was off balance the rest of the day, but today she can't stand or walk. I have brought her i from the cold with fresh food and water. I doubt she has eaten last night. I did just see her eat a little bit. Any ideas if there is anything else I can do or just keep her warm and wait it out? Thanks!

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    I do wonder how a chicken can get an egg frozen to her chin in the first placeā€¦

Are you feeding them warm mash? If it's cold enough for eggs to freeze to exposed skin, they would probably appreciate some warm food.

3. bassplayer5

bassplayer5 New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    I brought her inside for the night. Luckily that was the last of the really cold nights for a bit. She is eating and alert, but won't get up to walk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by