Egg Full of Blood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Greens Station, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Greens Station

Greens Station New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi, we are new to this and was wondering what the cause could be? We have 8 girls and over this weekend we gave some eggs to family. When they went to have breakfast this morning they found a egg filled with blood!! The past couple days we have had 2 soft shells also. I don't know if they are from the same girl or not. Ahhhh, we never heard of this! Their diet is good and we believe they are NOT stressed. Any info or help would be great! I don't know how to upload pics yet, but my profile pic is of the bloody egg.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Sometimes when an egg goes down the oviduct a blood vessel in the oviduct burst and the blood goes onto the material that goes into the shell. But this case is a little extreme! Is your hen O.K. Bleeding from her vent? Acting different?

4 people like this.
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I agree.. this is extreme. A blood spot is relatively normal. This is not. Wow..

Hope your hen is okay, and that someone can answer this better.

4. Greens Station

Greens Station New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    We are unsure which girl it is. Haven't noticed different behavior except that our 2 black Jersey giants keep trampling or standing on our light Brahma. Other than that no signs of anything different or blood anywhere. :/ Thanks for the quick response!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome. You didn't mention a rooster. If you have one the other possibility is early development of a fertilised egg. Hopefully that was not the case! Usually when you get blood in an egg it's only a spot on the yolk, but it happens sometimes that you get a lot of blood like in your case.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've posted a link in a thread that has high traffic I hope someone there can help you out! :fl

7. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    First, the hen’s fallopian tubes could be inflamed from an E. Coli Infection or other type of fallopian tube rupture; Second, it could be a result of feed problems while raising the hen. These are just a few options. I doubt it was a forming chick. Those usually do not have that much blood with out a bunch of chick parts included.If it is just the one egg, don't worry. You need to find out what hen passed the bloody egg. It sounds like you are watching for unusual behavior, you might want to spend a day out in the coop and discover what chickens are laying what eggs. It is important to know that for other reasons too. If you know what eggs belong to what hen, you know who is laying and who is not. Laying issues is sometimes the first sign of things you need to be aware of. Having to guess is very frustrating. If you have 100's of eggs and not enough time to know your chickens you will discover who has problems eventually. It just makes it easier and less frustrating in the long run to know who belongs to what.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  8. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    If it is just one egg, it is not something to worry about. I think I want to restate this. Young pullets and old hens can pass some pretty bloody eggs and be considered normal.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, I can tell you that you can get a really bloody egg with no problems afterward, because it happened to me a couple of years ago. I don't even know which hen it was, but none of them got sick for many months afterward. There was about as much blood as egg in that one shell. I saw a few more eggs with more than just a blood spot in the next few days, but less blood than that first bloody one, then nothing more.

Sumi is correct, according to the one bookmarked source about egg defects that I have:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by