egg genetics............

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roll8221, Jan 10, 2009.

1. roll8221

roll8221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    DO chickens lay the same colored egg that they hatch from?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I was told they will lay the egg that ther father is was oh I don't know if that sounds crazy but if you x aricauna hen and CM roo it will lay dark brown not green

3. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:I believe if you cross a blue or green egg layer with the dark brown egg laying breed you will get an "Olive-egger"

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I don't believe so. I hatched some mutts that came from some nice light to medium brown eggs, all were almost identical. The pullets just started to lay and not a one is identical. Turns out that the roo was a blue andalusian(white egg) and the hens were black australorp(brown egg) and my girls are laying what looks like a shade of brown over a white egg. Hard to describe, but if you look close it is like someone painted over a white egg, but only one coat so you can see the white underneath [​IMG] . Drom is right, but I don't remember which color is on top/bottom. It seems they inherit the egg color gene from each parent
    So to answer your question, mine don't [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:No.

It depends on the eggshell genes of BOTH parents. For example:

Araucana rooster x RIR hen= daughters lay green-olive eggs, despite their mother laying only brown eggs.

RIR rooster x EE hen that lays green eggs, but genetically not pure for the green/blue eggshell gene= half of daughters lay brown or tan eggs, other half lays green-olive eggs. So half of them lay tan/brown despite their mother laying green eggs.

There are a lot of different genes for eggshell color. There are many just for the tan-brown egg pigments. A lot of the brown or tan pigments are dominant, so crosses with these strongly tend to lay tinted-brown eggshells.

Sometimes in threads concerning EE, Araucana, Amers, someone will bring up or recommend using roosters that hatched from a blue egg.. however this is not fool proof, it is largely making a "bet" the rooster is more than likely to have the blue eggshell gene in him.

Same goes for recommending Marans roosters that hatched from really dark eggs- it's the hopes he will have inherited most of the desired genes for darker eggs..

Same concept goes for hatching the 'best eggs'- the hen who laid them had the desirable combination of genes and it's the hope to hatch out chicks that have more of the desirable genes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by