Egg Genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cats Critters, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm trying to figure out how they all interact (simple please!). I know blue and brown make a hen lay green eggs, what about blue and white or brown and white?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The eggshell is either blue or white. It may have a brown coating applied to the outside of the shell.

Blue eggshell + coating = green
    Blue eggshell + no coating = blue

White eggshell + coating = brown
    White eggshell + no coating = white

This is looking at it very simplistically; the pigment that makes up the coating can vary depending upon the specific genes involved (and there are multiple).

Likewise, the pigment that goes into a blue eggshell can vary somewhat, causing some chickens' eggs to be darker/lighter or changing the hue a bit. There are genes that whiten up a white eggshell as well, and some that make the shells shiny and others that give them a matte surface.

3. Cats Critters

Thanks! Only one question if I was to breed a Americana with a White-Leghorn what color of eggs would the offspring's eggs be?

4. First off before the Ameraucana police jump on you, there is no "i" in Ameraucana.

The answer for the egg color of the offspring . . .

If/since the Ameraucana lays a blue egg, the resulting pullet should lay a blue egg of some shade.

If your chicken is really an EE, then the egg color will depend on the color of the egg she lays. (using the leghorn for the rooster.)

Blue EE egg, should result in a blue egg laying pullet

Green EE egg, should result in a green egg laying pullet.

Brown EE egg, should result in a lighter brown egg laying pullet

Pink (is light brown) EE egg, will probably result in a lighter brown egg laying pullet.

5. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    White is dominant to brown.This means White Leghorn rooster over Ameraucana and EE will bring only blue and white eggs

6. Cats Critters

Thanks! That answers my questions.. for a while anyway. [​IMG]

7. ve, that is true IF the EE lays a blue or green egg, not all of them do.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Not necessarily. There are many genes that cause brown eggs, and the presence of even one will coat the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: