Egg got crushed by my broody hen!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by neener92, Jul 18, 2010.

1. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    I checked the eggs this morning to candle them like always only this time I found an eggs thats shell was broken! There is a large baby inside (still breathing) but I'm not sure how well it will do without the shell. I still can't see it or anything just the shell is broken. Is there anything I can do the help it, or will it just die. :[

2. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    How old are the eggs?

3. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I'm not exactly sure, I grab random eggs that my hens have laid in different places. It is one of my older eggs though...I do know that much. But I'd say it's about 3 or 4 days away from hatching give or take a little.

4. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    is it still alive?

5. neener92

Aug 30, 2009
    I went back out just a few minutes ago...the egg was crushed more, I didn't see any breathing or movement, I did see some blood though. So, I preceded to take the broken shell off and then the outer shell membrane. The little guy kicked and peeped a few times and died in my hands as I kept him warm. [​IMG] He was a little cornish X mix, solid white with a black bottom. I don't think there was anything I could have done to keep him alive (he had about a day or two left til he hatched).

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG] Im so sorry!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by