Egg Grading Card

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerbrowne, Aug 13, 2014.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    Howdy all,
    I was wondering if anyone has an egg grading card from the USDA website. Im in Canada so I cannot get the free booklet with it and was hoping it could be scanned. I checked the Canadian food and agriculture but we don't have as good of info booklets as the USDA does.

2. farmerbrowne

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    P.S. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section for I wasn't sure where to post it

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Never heard of such a thing...do you mean something like this, found with a quick google on usda egg gradingcard?

[​IMG]

4. farmerbrowne

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    yes! hehe I searched google to no avail...hmm

5. farmerbrowne

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    k, I found it on google pictures, but cant get a full size image to print off :(

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It would probably be hard to get it to print at the proper scale if you are looking for the 1/8, 1/16, 3/8 measuring device aspect of it.
    Would be easier just to make one with a ruler and and an exacto knife.

Why do yo need this? Backyard egg sales?

7. farmerbrowne

Jul 25, 2013
    Kaministquia, Ontario
    yea sell eggs and it would be interesting to see. thats why I was hoping someone in the states had one they could scan me. they are able to be ordered in a kit for americans for two or three dollars but I cant because Im canadian

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even if someone sent you a scan, it might not print out to the correct scale/size.

Just cut some notches in an index card (or paper heavy enough not to let light shine thru) using the measurements on the card.....they don't even really need to be curved perfectly cause all eggs have a bit different curvatures.

I'll bet you'll find you don't need it after awhile.

The air cell grows in size with age due to evaporation, the grading of the eggs is based on freshness/age of egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by