egg handling for hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, May 17, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I use to collect my hens eggs and put them in a kitchen drawer for a week while they laid enough to put in the bator. Is it the same for quails eggs? Just thought I would ask as I have 11 eggs in the kitchen drawer waiting for what ever else eggs they will lay in 4 more day. Am thinking it will be about 20 or so [​IMG] but will go ahead and just eat the 11 and start over if I have the storage wrong. Not much point in setting 20 eggs if none of them are going to hatch!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would change your topic to Handling for quail eggs or something like that...and someone who knows quail will chime in I'm sure. I never raised quail so I can't help you out. Good luck!

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have been putting them in an Ice chest with the lid cracked open a little bit trying to maintain 50-55 * F and I thought I was probably the only one who did it that way, but I met a breeder this weekend who does it the same way. We probably are both doing it wrong . LOL In a coupla days when I candle I will tell you how it works.

4. Jplejeune

Jplejeune Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Eunice
    I usually keep mine around 7 days before hatching but i have went a lot onger than that. Take a pan of water and put the eggs in if they float discard them if they sink they should hatch as long as they fertile Good luck

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Wow, I thought 10 days was the outer most limit on egg keeping!

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have an ice chest that holds a good temp with a one quart bag of ice. Of course you don't set the eggs directly on the ice. Then I stole my daughter's fridge. Its a little (very little) non-refrigerant "thermo-electric" (whatever that is) but it was cheap at Wally World, and holds the temp and humidity good. If you keep them around 55 degrees you can keep them longer than in the drawer, but hatchability will drop as they get older. I try to turn mine once a day while storing them.

7. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We use a wine cooler to store eggs. Maintains a steady 50 degrees and holds a lot of eggs..
    It's nice because it has a bunch of shelves that an egg carton fits right in.

David

8. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    So quail eggs really are that different from hens eggs! I was told to keep my hens eggs between 60 and 65f, that any lower would drop fertility drastically.

Hmmm, wonder where in the house is colder than the drawer but not as cold as the fridge?

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I would like to be able to dig a root cellar the earth is usually 50-60 degrees , but the marsh/bogs/rivers I live beside ( I am actually a little below sea level) prevent me from doing this LOL I read 50-60*F in a publication somewhere I think university of Cali at davis check out page 11

http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8155.pdf

HTH

10. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    So, what would happen if I just take them out of the fridge to make up a hatch? Have met people who will do that with chicken eggs and have a good hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by