"Egg" hanging outside of vent and blind chicken.

chickens29

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
New England
1. So simultaneously, two of my hens have had problems. First I will start with my hen who has the "egg" (I think) hanging out her vent.

I have a red crosslink hen who is four years old, and today I discovered a weird yellow blob hanging out of her vent. It's about the size of an egg, and I showed it to my mom and she thinks it's an egg. I haven't touched it, but it has a red spot on it and looks like it's peeling kind of. Her vent seems sort of puffy but I am unsure. She has the same diet as the other hens, with cracked corn, water, bugs in the yard and table scraps, and none of my other hens (ages 2-4) have had this problem.

She is near the top of the pecking order, so I don't think it's an injury done to her. She has had no noticable weight change. I put her in a cage so she isn't hurt, and I haven't seen her poop since the yellow thingy.

2. Then I have my blind hen, this isn't as much as a problem as the other one though, so you can skip over to part 3 for details. Over the past five months or so, one of my red crosslinks who is four years old as well, has become increasingly blind. I think it is simply aging because I looked at her eyes, and they're still normal and don't look like Marek's disease eyes. Her eyes are bright orange like they've always been, and her pupils are black, with no other colors. It takes her about 8 tries to eat food if your holding it right in front of her, but she can find her food and water bowl.

Now she's sick, and she kind of eats. I give her corn and bananas, but she only has a little bit of it. I also give her fresh water twice a day, but I rarely see her drink it. She's always in that hunched, sick position with her eyes kind of droopy, but they aren't completely closed. I'm not sure what I can do for her. I leave her in the coop now, because her tail doesn't droop as much as when she's outside. When she's outside she's usually confused and doesn't seem to like the movement of other hens. I don't believe she is extremely sick because when I touch her, she will move so that I can fill her water bowl. None of the other chickens have access to her food and I usually replace it after a day. It is usually full when I replace it..

I have 5 other four year old hens, and none of them have became blind, so I think it's some genetic thing. She has laid an egg a week ago. She used to lay an egg every day when she was young, but she's old so I don't blame her. Her poop is normal.

3. The coop these hens live in is a shed, with ventilation at the top. The poop is cleaned once a month or so and there is no problem with smell. I don't see particles in the shed and only a small percentage of hens have ever become sick. The blind hen has become sick five times over the last year, and the hen with the yellow blob I think has not been sick previously. I have no idea why my blind hen gets sick so easily, my other chickens are only sick for a day or two, then they're back to normal. I have 16 chickens and no rooster. We have not had any deaths due to sickness in the entire time I've had the chickens, four years.

I might put pictures up tomorrow, I'm not sure where my camera's USB cable has went but I'll go looking for it.

Thank you for reading!

Bad news! My blind hen has lost a lot of weight in a matter of days and has become very lethargic. It looks like she's not going to be here tomorrow. The hen with the yellow blob is energetic, but still has it just hanging there, and it appears to have gotten worse. She poops over it. What do I do???

Here's a picture I took moments ago of the blob
WARNING, GRAPHIC!!!
http://i.imgur.com/5vRQAet.jpg

Let me know if you need better pictures and I will get to it right away!

Ok, since the thing was initially yellow, I kinda feel like it's either a really big yolk, a "lash" egg, or a small glimpse of an ovary that somehow got down there because, it's pretty big. When I get home from school I'm going to take it out, if it's harmful to the hen I will cull her. She has laid an egg with no shell last spring so... maybe a really weird egg?

I touched it and she had no response to that, so it probably won't do harm if I take it out. Either way, if I did put it back in it'd be too contaminated.

I will give her a warm "bath" first, and hopefully it's just some mutant egg or something.

GREAT NEWS! Or maybe bad... No idea. Blind hen is doing a little better than yesterday and my weird yellow blob hen is doing awesome.

Gross Content Warning Below VVV

Update on the blob: It appears to be some fatty, crusty slimy yellow thing attached to some vent tissue poking out. She is absolutely calm when I tried to remove it, though I'm not sure what to remove it with. The hen has tried doing some removing herself, I put her alone in a cage hoping that the other chickens wouldn't bite it but... she bit off chunks of it. There's about 3 quarters of it left. I will continuously try to remove it throughout the day. It appears to be attached by a tiny, tiny piece.

What do you guys think it is? She is still energetic as ever and the blob is kind of smaller than the previous picture. I hope I can remove a large portion of it, then poke her vent tissue in. One of my friends has experience with chickens having things fall out, so I took their advice on what I should do.

It's really weird. I see nothing else on the internet about this and nothing in my chicken books about this :S There's prolapsed vent... but this is some weird crusty growth. Is it a lash egg that is somehow attached to the tissue? It seems to be a ball.

Last edited:
Howdy chickens29

I am sorry that you and your gal are going through this and while I am not going to be much help, I would like to subscribe to this thread for my own personal education.

I am far from an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but that looks like a prolapsed vent to me and I definitely would not try removing it until someone more experienced has advised.

Thank you for subscribing! I checked my hen this morning, and she still had half of the yellow thing. I didn't really feel like doing anything and went to tend to the other chickens. I checked an hour ago or so, and there's no trace of the ball. There were just pieces scattered in the tray below her cage. I think she removed it herself, lol.

She just has a prolapsed vent now, I'm going to use this article as a guide to fix it.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Vent-prolapse-overview-H263.aspx

The blind hen is still alive and had some food and water. Definitely better than previously, but I'll still keep an eye on her.

I'll update with pictures later.

I've successfully got the part of the tract that was hanging out back into her. I put her in a tub of warm water, soaking for 10 minutes, then lubricated the vent with witch hazel and tried gently pushing it back in with gloves on, but she just pushed it out. I just soaked her again, repeated the process (still being gentle) and I was able to keep it in there. She then pooped, and while it was more than before, she was in a bit of pain and made some noises. The prolapse did not happen again though, which is good, or maybe bad.

She's still an active chicken, and she will eat and drink normally. Hopefully I don't run into any other problems. I'll keep her inside the house for a couple of days and we'll see what happens.

I know I said I'd post pictures, but I haven't really had the time. Maybe in a couple of days or when winter vacation starts, which is soon.

The prolapsed chicken is doing awesome, and it hasn't come out again after I put it back in again yesterday.

My blind chicken on the other hand, stopped eating again and now I'm only feeding her through liquids dripped on her beak. Even then, she is picky. She does not like vegetable juice and will only drink either chicken broth or water... LOL. I'm going to try to find an alternative to chicken broth, I've only given it to her once (1 teaspoon) and she instantly drank it, but there's just too much salt in broths. I will try giving her the water or oil from tuna cans, maybe she will like that.

Stay tuned!

I learned that petting her gently on the head will cause her to swallow whatever's on her beak. It seems that a lot of people have had their blind chickens stop eating and kind of stand like mine. She's not depressed, because she makes happy noises when I bring her friend into the house, she just doesn't feel like eating I guess.

Back
Top Bottom