1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg has a small area of dirt.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Jan 18, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    How do I clean the dirt off without damaging the shell? I know you can't use water. What's a good way to remove a bit of dirt from the egg?

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Some people use a very fine sandpaper to clean the egg.
    ~Rebecca

3. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, thats a great idea. Thanks!

4. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Ok...Why can't you use water? What is the egg going to be used for? Not to sound stupid but I am new to the egg world really.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It's just a tad bit of dirt ?? They should be fine, put em in the bator... When a hen sits on eggs she doesnt clean them first and most times they have great hatches [​IMG]

6. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    ravencreek wrote: Ok...Why can't you use water? What is the egg going to be used for? Not to sound stupid but I am new to the egg world really.

You can't use water because it wears down the shell, and I'm incubating my eggs for a classroom project. You don't sound stupid at all! Theres nothing wrong with being curious. It's great questions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by