Egg hatch humidity level...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bgrant, Jan 3, 2015.

1. bgrant

bgrant Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2015
    Hello! I have just completed my 3rd hatch, which I seem to have the same problem(chicks dieing in there shell). I have been reading day and night on the issue and think I have a resolution, however I would like to ask a question before starting round 4. Every where I look ppl are talking about putting water in the incubator, even the instructions say so, however I read that the humidity should be around 45-55%. 'Comfortable' humidity levels for human living is 65%. Sooooo if you have a forced are incubator then you would need a 'DEhumidifier' and should never need to ADD water, right? Basically I can't keep the humidity under 55% without any water and I believe my chicks are drowning after puncturing there air sack. Help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Are you sure they are drowning?? A good humidity during incubation is somewhere between 45% and 50% for most breeds of chickens. BUT...come lock down you MUST get your humidity up around 65% to 70% to keep them from sticking to the inside of the shell and dying. What happens when they pip is that all the moisture is lost from the inside of the egg when they pierce the shell open. So you MUST keep the humidity up really high to keep them from drying out. Do NOT ever open the lid to the incubator when there is pipping (when they poke a hole through the shell to breath)

If you are sure they are drowning after pipping, you can hatch them in a hatcher in egg cartons, large end up. This will stop them from drowning.

Stop by our Incubating and Hatching Eggs section for more help with this. You can get more input there too...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck and I hope you eventually have a successful hatch! :)

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and make SURE your vents are WIDE open at lock down as well. Not enough oxygen will kill them as well.

4. bgrant

Jan 3, 2015
    Thanks for the response. Most of the chicks that died, didn't even pip. They where fully developed in the shell (and very wet).

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So they are internally pipping but have not yet punctured through the shell? Are you candling them just before lock down? What day are they dying on? Do you have your vents open?

It could be from drowning or lack of good ventilation. You might try your next hatch in egg cartons large end up. What is the relative humidity of the room you are incubating in? You might also try a dry hatch if you live in a very humid climate.

6. bgrant

Jan 3, 2015
    Yes, they seem to die right at the end, the humidity is 60-65% in the room. I have an automatic turner, so the eggs are positioned correctly up till lock down. My last hatch was a dry hatch until day 18. Humidity stayed around 50%.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by