Egg hatch Rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chloezoebob101, Jan 31, 2012.

1. So we were gonna get some chicks on thursday but then we called and they said to wait till the 20th ( or something like that). Well, we were thinking that maybe we could get a dozen hatching eggs while we were up at the hatchery when we do go. I've never hatched before and was wondering if i got a dozen, on average, how many would hatch? because we want to actually HATCH a dozen.
    and also, i don't have a incubator yet, so are there any good ones that are also cheap, that do a good job?

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    I have been incubating an a Little Giant with air fan and turner. I think the whole setup costs like $130. I hatch in a Little Giant still air which runs about $40. Te one with the fan and turner takes a lot of the work out of hatching and I have had no trouble regulating the temp. The still air is a little harder to regulate but not that bad! If yu are getting a small amount of eggs then you may do ok without the turner! You have to manually do it 3 times a day! I have had petty good rates this month myself with 31 out of 37 that made it to lockdown hatching and living! I started with 56 though! The other 19 never made it to lockdown! Either quit or were duds.Keep that in mind when you get a dozen. Might do better with 18 or 24 to start.

3. ok thank you! and i don't know what lockdown is. i have heard the term a lot but have no clue what it is.

4. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    "LOCKDOWN" is the period from day 18 to hatch! If you put eggs in at noon today then February 1st would be day 1. For 18 days you incubate at 99.5 degrees and 35% - 40% humidity. You turn three times a day! Make an x on one side of the egg and an o on the other. That way you can keep of each eggs turns. At the end of day 18 you go into "LOCKDOWN"! You do not turn anymore. You raise your humidity to 65% - 70%. You do not open your incubator for any reason except to add more water. Hence "LOCKDOWN"! You should candle each egg just before so that you know each egg in lockdown is currently viable! By this point you should see movement. Then just sit back and wait to see our little fuzzy butts! They are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by