Egg hatched for the first time

Leslielou019

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
My broody hen hatched an egg Friday night (Only one chick hatched from her clutch) I've never hatched eggs before. When will mom start walking around with the chick vs acting broody? She did protect it in a nesting box earlier from a pecking hen. But not sure she is out of broody mode yet.... I moved her to a dog kennel in my run with food and water and she just sits in it and pushes the chick around. I have two two week old chicks in a brooder in my garage I can add it too if needed, but really hoping mom will take care of it.

She hatched the peep right are they ones you want to add about the same size?
She hatched the peep. If she doesn't take care of it I have a back up plan. I'd rather not add it to my brooder. The two chicks are too big to give to mama. I'm wondering how long I need to wait or what should I be looking for the mama to be doing.

She hatched the peep. If she doesn't take care of it I have a back up plan. I'd rather not add it to my brooder. The two chicks are too big to give to mama. I'm wondering how long I need to wait or what should I be looking for the mama to be doing.
The first couple of days the chick is still sustaining off the yolk. My broodies are ready to take them out and show them off by the third day. I leave them in their nest and let them take control.
The first chick hatched here was put in a kennel with mom and never quite became independent even after she started laying. She should stay in moms nest with her while she was hatching another clutch.
Unfortunately, mom was killed by a possum while sitting a clutch and daughter was killed by a rooster by over breeding. The roosters name was flame but I changed it to charbroiled. He won’t kill any more hens.
The good part is another hen hatched off some of the daughters eggs and I have some if her babies.

Thank you! I had to move her out of the nest box in the coop because the chick couldn't get back in if it got out, it was inch too high.
The first couple of days the chick is still sustaining off the yolk. My broodies are ready to take them out and show them off by the third day. I leave them in their nest and let them take control.
The first chick hatched here was put in a kennel with mom and never quite became independent even after she started laying. She should stay in moms nest with her while she was hatching another clutch.
Unfortunately, mom was killed by a possum while sitting a clutch and daughter was killed by a rooster by over breeding. The roosters name was flame but I changed it to charbroiled. He won’t kill any more hens.
The good part is another hen hatched off some of the daughters eggs and I have some if her babies.

Back
Top Bottom