1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg hatched under heat lamp! How to re-introduce to Mama hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blue-eyed Red Bird, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Blue-eyed Red Bird

Blue-eyed Red Bird Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Pike County, Ohio
    I have a broody that hatched 3 of 9 eggs on Friday/Saturday, then left the nest with the babies yesterday. I carefully put the eggs into a straw nest in a bucket, put it under a heat lamp, covered with a cup of water. I closely watched the temp and did what I could, and lo and behold, I have a new hatchling this am. She is up moving around in the bucket peeping intermittently.

I want to get her out to the Mama so she will imprint on her, but am not sure how to do this so that she will be accepted. And, I am afraid of the possibility that the Mama might even attack her or something. Can anyone offer me advice on how to best approach this???

Thanks so much.

Here's a pic of the Mama and a couple of the other babies!

[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I would gently put the baby under mama and then watch the hen very closely for a bit to make sure she accepts it. I have had to do the same thing before and had no problems re introducing them. Best of luck [​IMG]

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You might be able to put the chick under her at night. That's what I've heard other people say.

4. JoanneNC

JoanneNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    I have had success several times by placing them back in the nest at night. Never had any problems with her rejecting them.

JoanneNC

5. Blue-eyed Red Bird

May 21, 2008
    Pike County, Ohio
    Thanks so much for the quick replies! I'll try to put the chick under her tonight ... and, who knows, maybe I'll have another little one to accompany her by then!!! [​IMG]

For now, is the baby okay in the bucket along with the eggs, at about 100 degrees (measured with oral/rectal thermometer at top of eggs) and some humidity - supplied by shot glasses of water and moist dishtowel over top????

6. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I would say the chick will be fine in the bucket with those temps. Just make sure some air gets in there so it can breath. Then hopefully you can introduce it tonight to momma! [​IMG]

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've done this several times - hatch with a broody and hatch the latecomers in the house (except I use a tupperware container and a desk lamp [​IMG] ) I would definately keep the baby in the house until it has it's balance - they're so unsteady when they're just hatched and if Mama and co. is alreay out and about, the newcomer won't be able to keep up. Then I do just as the others said and tucked them under mama at bedtime. My Silkies are so easygoing - they'll take any number of babies I foster on them.

8. Blue-eyed Red Bird

May 21, 2008
    Pike County, Ohio
    Update (not sure how to post this correctly in the subject of message -advice appreciated!): I took little chicky out to Mama at dusk, and set him just near her. She clucked at her and adjusted herself so he could come snuggle under her wing. It was truly one of the sweetest things I've ever seen - almost made me cry. She appears to be doing just fine this morning, up eating and doing the normal stuff![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by