egg hatched, what's the first 24 hours like?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muell112, May 31, 2010.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    So this is my first time hatching eggs - I've had a couple of broody hens so I let them sit on a few eggs. One little guys just hatched and got pecked on the head by the hen so I took him out and put him under a light. Anything advice for the next 24 hours?

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Seperate the mama and babies from the rest of the flock. If it's the mama pecking it, then she's just trying to keep it safe under her. Good luck!

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    They've been in the nest boxes - I was worried about the babies falling out so I made up a nice kennel in the coop but neither of the broody hens wanted anything to do with it (i.e. not sitting on the eggs anymore). She pecked it pretty hard in the head so I was worried she was going to kill it. Right now I have it inside, under a light. Do you think that will be ok? I've done well with day old chicks from a hatchery but have never had one that's just hatched out before. How active should it be? Right now it's just kind of laying there kind of curled up.

4. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It may be too cold if it's curled up. It may also be lonely. Do you have a stuffed animal it can lay on or any other babies yet? You want the temp around 85 for it to be comfortable and stay warm. I would give it some vitamins/electrolytes in its water for a few days just to give it a little extra boost in vitamins and minerals.

5. muell112

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    It's doing better now - moving around, pecking at crumbles and baby meal worms and already went and got a drink on its own. Not other chicks yet - I think they're a few days apart. Stuffed animal is a good idea...It's a cutie though - white capped polish mixed with grey easter egger. He/she is all grey on top and cream colored on the bottom.

6. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Aaawww [​IMG] Babies are just too cute! Glad to hear it's being more responsive!

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Congrats!!! Your chick sounds adorable!!! I have noticed that my newly hatched chicks were tired too. So I just made sure the brooder was really nice and warm(like around 85 degrees) and let them rest. Hatching can be hard work I imagine. What amazes me, is that each time I added a new chick the other chicks were interested and tried to peck at it, but the next second everyone curled up together and was asleep. SOO cute!!! I took my chicks away from mama too, 'cause she suffocated 2 of them. I am sure your baby will be fine. Will there be any other siblings to join it?

p.s. pictures please!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by