1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg hatching advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FunkyFaith, Jan 23, 2016.

1. FunkyFaith

FunkyFaith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    So we finally got our broody hen an egg to hatch. We only gave her one, but today is day 7 and I candled and everything seems to be going good. Although the weather here has been very cold, staying with -3 to only 4° sometimes getting a little warmer but not much.
    The egg is scheduled to hatch the first week of February. If it is still cold outside, should I bring the chick indoors, and if so should I bring the broody hen as well? Or should I leave them both outside, or just bring the chick inside?
    Thankyou

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Nope, leave them where they are. Mum will make sure the chick is warm and toasty. They need to be together and splitting them will be totally counterproductive. Trust the mum - she'll do the right thing.

All the best
    Ct

3. deapot2

deapot2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks for posting this! I was wondering the same thing! Good luck with your egg!!! I hope it works out![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by