1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg hatching dilemma

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barefootmama85, Mar 21, 2012.

1. barefootmama85

barefootmama85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi there!
    I am in a bit of a dilemma. 2 weeks ago one of our hens went broody (awesome). When i realized that she was nesting, I marked the four eggs that she was sitting on, and then pulled the new ones everyday and left her with just the four. I candled the eggs after about a week, and nothing. We broke one open and nothing. So, I ordered 6 fertile eggs (assuming that our roo hadn't fertilized/mated quite yet). We should be getting the eggs in the mail any day. Anyways, this morning when she got up to eat, I decided to candle the eggs, just in case.... And there they were, each egg had a growing peep inside :)

Now, the dilemma... What to do with the eggs that are coming in the mail?

Seeing as the chicks only have about a week left, do I put the eggs under mama?
    Will she abandon the new eggs after the "old" clutch hatches?

I have tried to put another nesting box full of plain eggs in the coop in the hopes that another hen might "feel the urge" to mother, but my broody hen just thrashes the nest and takes the eggs to sit on.
    Any advice? Please help :) sorry so long winded :)

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You might want to look into getting an incubator ASAP... In my experience, the mama does not stay on the nest long after her eggs hatch.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    x2 My broodies quit the nest . I have used an incubator to finish the hatch. GL

4. barefootmama85

barefootmama85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks so much all :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by