EGG HATCHING! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenchick12, Aug 8, 2014.

1. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    There is an egg in my coop that is hatching! But I don't think it's coming out right.[​IMG] It has made a huge hole were it can get out but a membrane is holding it in. It has been over an hour since it started hatching. Is that normal? It broke a vein on the membrane and now it's covered in blood. What can I do to help it? It is balled up in a knot and I think that is why it hasn't come out.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Helping chicks hatch is normally never a good thing to do because they need to absorb the yolk and hatching can take a few hours. As long as the chick can breathe it shouldn't be a problem. As for the blood I have never had that happen. I hope this helps!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe if you moisten the membrane with a damp paper towel it'll come on out by itself. I would normally say not to help either, but since it pipped through a vein and bled, it might be stuck because the blood has dried up and glued it in the egg. If it has zipped all the way around the egg, I would assume its ready to come out by now.
    Good luck!

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I had one that had pecked a good size hole and than it started zipping.this went on for hours.I would talked to it and it would chirp.it took so long the membrane was drying.I took my fingers and dipped it in warm water and lightly touched the membrane after it got pliable.I carefully peeled the membrane away.I was shaking so bad.i was afraid it would bleed out.than it pop out of the shell.i carefully pull some more membrane away.Than I left it in the incubator,for several hours.Than I found out why Mama hen left this egg.The little fellows legs were malformed and that is the reason it could not push it self out of the shell.I hand fed and put drops of water in its mouth After days went by and he could not walk and pulled his self around with its wings and beak.We had to cull him.it broke my heart.Good luck.

5. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I have helped a chick unzip, but you have to be careful not to damage the membrane and blood vessels. Then I left him overnight. The next morning he still wasn't out, but I assumed he would have absorbed the yolk sack. So I carefully unzipped the membrane too. He was so glued in poor little guy that his eye was stuck shut for a day or so. I bathed it open each day so the little mite could see, with warm salty water and a cue tip. He seemed to find it soothing actually. He/she is a little white Wyandotte, and is doing great.

6. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I have embryos in all 16 eggs in my incubator. I have Faverolles through the post, and my own Orpington and Wyandotte eggs. My eggs seem to have more development. Any thoughts???

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  7. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Anyone???:(

8. chickenchick12

chickenchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2014
    Sorry for the long wait. Here is the story of the chick after it hatched. The chick took over 6 hours to hatch and it was not getting any progress. I finally took the shell off and peeled away the membrane.The little thing had been in so long that it had pooed inside the shell. eventually it dried off and it's mother started caring for it. It lived in a cat carrier for a few days and then it was free range. We named it Sandie after our chicken 4-H leader. Then about 2 weeks after it hatched a rain storm came through. The mom went on the roost. Her baby got pecked to death by the other chickens. Sobbing as I write this.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  9. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Yes it can be a roller coaster. Glad you shared with us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by