Egg hatching in an egg carton pictures!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magsrags, Dec 31, 2008.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I thought this would be fun for people waiting for their first hatch to see.
    Yesterday I cought this little RIR hatching so decided I'd take some shots as it came out. It is the first time I ever used an egg carton and it worked like a dream! Now all my eggs are in cartons and I find tilting the carton so much easier than moving individual eggs around 4-5 times per day.:<))
    Here is Lil reds entry into the world from my bator window. From peep to pip to actual hatch was really fast. After a couople of hours from making his pip hole and then resting.... he actually zipped (while I watched in amazement) in perhaps 20 minutes or so. So much fun to watch! Then he sat in his little egg carton for an hour or so before getting up and floundering round finding his legs.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Looks so much harder to hatch that way !!

CONGRATS on the baby, Very cute [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:thank you!
    Funny thing is he did it so fast I was amazed.
    My first standard bird. I've hatched silkies up to now and he's bigger.

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    a lot bigger isn't. your little sf will be little smaller being a pullet egg. thanks for sharing.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:?? 20 minutes to hatch ?? how much easier can it get??

I noticed a towel or something along the edge of the bator.. is that for humidity? or just to keep the cartons from getting to the outside edge??

6. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:?? 20 minutes to hatch ?? how much easier can it get??

I noticed a towel or something along the edge of the bator.. is that for humidity? or just to keep the cartons from getting to the outside edge??

I raised humidity the last 3 days placing 2 wet face clothes along the sides. nice as it covers those wire edges really well.

Yes, after resting a couple of hours after piping her air hole....only 20 minutes once she began seriously pipping hard. I sat there with my son and watched.
    Good grief at times it's taken some of my eggs hours to do that.LOL

7. magsrags

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:OK....you know it's a pullet egg???[​IMG] HOW.LOL

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:OK....you know it's a pullet egg???[​IMG] HOW.LOL

I am guessing she noticed how small that other egg looked in the compartment..

but the egg that is hatching does not look so small to me..

I am thinking of using egg cartons in my new/used sportsman that I just bought this week.. I can do 18 dozen eggs at a time.. do you think I should poke holes through the cartons to help with warm air circulation? or isn't that necessary?

9. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I only use the carton method and can't imagine any other way now. I think it gives the egg stability and makes zipping a bit easier. In the carton, once they start to zip it usually only takes 10-20 minutes till they pop the lid!

The cutest thing is to see them get out and begin walking around the bator, then climb back into the egg carton and sit. [​IMG]

I don't think you really need the air holes in the bottom. I reuse my cartons from hatch to hatch after placing them in a hot oven for about 10 minutes to sterilize them. I have punch holes in the bottoms with a pencil in some of them. Oh...I only use the paper cartons...they won't melt in the oven. [​IMG]

10. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:On a related note, do you use an automatic turner in your bator or do you turn the eggs yourself? Just wondered...if one was to use an auto turner and then on day 18 took the eggs out of the auto turner and put them into an egg carton to finish the hatching process, if you thought that would be a smart move??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by