Egg hatching season

alangton

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Oakland
I live in Oakland CA and the weather is pretty average! We usually have a late summer and the night doesn't get too cold until like December-February! Do I really have to wait until spring to hatch eggs? We have gotten two chicks locally, but I really want to hatch from eggs for the rest of our flock!

Thanks,
Ashley

You can hatch chicks anytime your hens are laying and your roosters are fertile. A lot of people hatch in spring because that is the natural time for a hen. If you use an incubator, though, you can do it anytime--I personally hatch in January, since I show chickens and want the oldest birds possible for showing later in the year. Just make sure you keep the chicks that hatch warm enough.

If you want to use a broody hen, your choices are more limited. Some hens do try to nest in the winter, but they have a tough time keeping the chicks and eggs warm. Summer and spring are better choices for broody hen hatching.

We are using an incubator. The two chicks we have already we have kept in our spare bathroom with a light! We will do the same with the hatched chicks!

Back
Top Bottom